This is a little stickier-looking than it ought to be, because this picture was taken after the leftover risotto was reheated. Ideally you should have a much creamier texture.
A couple of my friends were visiting recently, and we decided to try making a simple risotto. This recipe was originally from the True Batterwitch’s (Betty Crocker’s) cookbook, but being the person I am, I can never use a recipe without changing something about it, so this is my modified version. XD It’s very simple, and takes only about half an hour to make.
4 T. butter
4 T. olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 c. uncooked Arborio rice
1 c. vegetable broth
1 ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
2 c. vegetable broth
cayenne and black pepper to taste
- In medium saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Cook onion, parsley, zucchini, and garlic in oil mixture until onion and zucchini are tender.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until edges of grains are translucent. Stir in 1 c. of broth and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in 1 c. of remaining broth. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes OR until broth is absorbed. Stir in remaining cup of broth and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy (NOT sticky!).
- Stir in cheese and pepper, and serve!
Welcome, aspiring evil empresses! Let me share with you a little secret about ruling the world…
Who would you say is the most powerful female who ever lived? Cleopatra? Queen Victoria? Eleanor Roosevelt? Wrong! It is (as those of you familiar with Homestuck are well aware) Betty Crocker. Why, you ask? It’s simple: Betty Crocker, the original Batterwitch and ruler of a worldwide empire of delicious baked goods, understood that the way to people’s hearts is always through their stomachs. In other words, good cooking is the secret to world domination! And that is the purpose of this blog: to provide you, my lovely batterwitches-to-be, with the tasty recipes you need to take over your kitchen and become the rulers of your own domain!
Of course, when planning your career as an evil empress it also doesn’t hurt to have a sort of mission statement, a creed, if you will. So here’s the creed by which I’ll be running this blog:
1. All food ought to be tasty and relatively simple to make.
2. There is no greater sin than a bland dish.
3. The best (and most creative) cooking avoids prepackaged mixes and additives and goes for only fresh and yummy ingredients!
4. The primary objective of cooking is FUN! (And world domination… which is kinda the same thing.)
And so, my dear batterwitches-in-training, good luck and happy cooking! 😀